The Research Institute of Pomology was established in 1951 under the patronage of the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development. Prof. Dr. S.A. Pieniążek, who organized the Institute, was nominated the first director and kept this position until his retirement in 1983. From the beginning the Research Institute of Pomology concentrated on research in fruit growing and beekeeping. Since 1967 a research on ornamental plants was included in our framework and the name of the Institute was changed for the Research Institute of Pomology and Floriculture. Professor S.A. Pieniążek was succeeded by Prof. Dr. S.W. Zagaja, who was the head of the Institute till the end of 1990 and then succeeded by Prof. Dr. E. Lange (1991-1997) , Prof. Dr. D. M. Goszczyńska (1997- -)

Facts and comments regarding the William’s deJong-Lambert article presenting a profile of Professor Szczepan Pieniążek